While making the leather vest I broke or bent surprisingly few needles, only three or four. It helped that this was such thin jacket leater, buttery soft. I love love love my old sewing machine. No Mom, you can't have it back yet. This old beast, a vintage PFAFF, sewed through eight layers of this leather without wincing. There were a couple of thick spots where seams overlapped.
I ran out of time and leather to make the shoulder pauldrons, so I used fleece instead, but couldn't get them to take a nice curve. Then I remembered the shoulder pads from the leather jacket. I rescued them from the waste basket, and shoved them into the pauldrons. Voila, a nice curved top. Add some elastics to the bottom & done. I did the vambraces out of the same fleece. They turned out just a bit small. I have a few things I'd like to change or tweak before he wears it to the saskexpo this fall, such as making proper retractable arm daggers, and changes to the boots/boot tops.
The boots were a bit of a puzzle. I was initially trapped by gendered thinking. I looked in the Men's sections of Value Village for tall boots that I could alter. Nothing. I wasn't paying $50 for new boots. But wait, he'd take a size 10 in ladies. Nuts. Nothing. There is a Size 9 though, with possibilities. Got them home to the boy, the fit's a bit small, but maybe I can fix it later.
Overall he was very very happy with the finished product and wore it for nearly 12 hours.